Dental Implants for a Beautiful SmileMay 1, 2017
The Dental Implants Procedure begins with a thorough examination of your teeth and gums. Ocean Front Dental can provide you with permanent roots for your teeth if you are a good candidate for dental implants.
During your dental implants examination, Ocean Front Dental will take digital pictures, x-rays, models and molds of your teeth, gums and your mouth to determine what dental implant procedure would be best for your needs.
The procedure could be a good fit if you:
• Have a missing tooth or teeth
• Have adequate bone for implants or have been okayed for bone grafting
• Have oral health problems
• Don’t smoke
• Don’t have any health condition that would hinder bone healing
• Can’t or won’t wear dentures
As in any surgery, the dental implants process does have some risks, and although rare, they can and do occur. Thankfully, most are minor and can easily be treated.
Some risks to watch for include:
• Damage or injury to the surrounding teeth or gums
• Nerve damage
• Sinus issues if your implants have been placed in your upper jaw
Custom made for your situation, your treatment plan will take into account how many teeth need to be replaced, and the condition of your jawbone.
Dental implant surgery is normally an outpatient service that is performed in various stages:
• Your damaged tooth or teeth are removed
• Your jawbone is prepped for surgery, which could include bone grafting
• Once your jawbone has healed, your dentist will place the titanium metal posts in your jawbone
• Ocean Front Dental will place an extension of your metal implant posts before placing an artificial tooth, or crown, over the top
Although the whole process could take months to complete, in some cases, four to nine months or longer, your new teeth will be just as strong, if not stronger than your natural teeth.
If you would like more information regarding the dental implant procedure, call us or schedule an appointment with the dental implant team from Ocean Front Dental today.Back to the Blog